Sunday, November 13, 2011

Chalk

Startled by my own shadow, 
startled, and shell shocked--
I exist outside of my body, 
but what kind of creature am I?
I feel thin, and my heart weeps, 
as cold wind blows me away, 
I feel thin hearted, and I weep.
The pools of my own perseverance
have been dipped into too often 
and because I forget my place 
in this other-worldy scheme of things, 
I am weary and depleted. 
Creation knows me, 
as the painter of the sidewalk, 
who lays her burdens out 
for the trees and birds to see,
while walking simple streets. 
I am an aching wretch, 
and my skinny heart knows it, 
so I am startled,
by a shadow that does no justice 
to the brute I often become 
inside of my skin, 
but rather it paints me blank
with no wear or tear, 
or damage of any kind. 


I live in hope, 
on the concrete, 
even when I feel none of it 
within me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments! Whether it be constructive criticism or praise, I want to hear it!

Copyright