Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Maple

The bottom of the maple tree 
suited my purposes, so I 
dug down with my bare hands 
until I uncovered the roots. 
I took the tin box filled to the
brim with you, and stuck it 
between those mighty veins. 
The dried blushing roses, 
the letters and the poems, 
and even your marbled heart
arranged between the tissues
that dried all the tears you 
gave me, buried in the ground. 
And there my love can grow, 
warped in the roots of that big 
maple tree, rather than inside of 
a heart that can no longer 
sustain life. The only evidence 
left behind is the black dirt 
on my hands from covering 
it up. 

You no longer deserve
the cries of my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments! Whether it be constructive criticism or praise, I want to hear it!

Copyright