Monday, April 19, 2010

Checkmate

The chess game is over,
You've won, and you're free.
And like a fair player,
Rather than a sore loser,
I will accept this defeat with grace.
You directed the game the whole time,
Using your sway to determine this outcome,
And as much as I was unsuspecting,
I have to admit that I let you win.
Now that I have shaken your hand,
To eliminate any hard feelings,
I see that I have a heavy heart,
Rising up into my throat,
And you walk away, unscathed.
Though you could have have spared me,
You did not.
Advantage was taken, and that isn't my fault.
You may be sorry, but frankly so am I.
Even though you cheated in this game,
I will swallow that heaviness.
I'll continue to remember that you know what you've done,
and you'll live with this for a long time.
Then I will be the one who has won,
And I'll be the one who is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments! Whether it be constructive criticism or praise, I want to hear it!

Copyright